UnitedHealth Group Incorporated took the top spot in A.M. Best’s ranking of the world’s 25 largest insurance companies, as measured by 2014 net premiums written (NPW). AXA S.A. kept its top spot by assets, but fell to No. 2 by NPW.
The rankings of the world’s largest global insurance companies, by assets and NPW, were released by A.M. Best in the Jan. 4, 2016, issue of BestWeek. The two rankings are based on BestLink data and additional research.
Also climbing in rank among the top 10 by NPW were health insurers Anthem Inc., Kaiser Foundation Group of Health Plans and Aetna Inc., all of which saw rapid gains in the fast-changing U.S. health insurance market. Also making gains were China-based companies in the ranking by NPW. Meanwhile, Japan Post Insurance, which was ranked No. 1 by non-banking assets in 2012, continued its recent descent in the ranking, falling to No. 5 from No. 4 in the previous ranking.
The biggest changes in position by assets were those of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., which rose to No. 9 from No. 14, and American International Group Inc., which fell to No. 12 place from No. 9.
The top 10 global insurers ranked by non-banking assets are:
1. AXA S.A., France
2. Allianz SE, Germany
3. MetLife Inc., United States
4. Prudential Financial Inc., United States
5. Japan Post Insurance Co., Ltd., Japan
6. Legal & General Group plc, United Kingdom
7. Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A., Italy
8. Prudential plc, United Kingdom
9. Berkshire Hathaway Inc., United States
10. Nippon Life Insurance Company, Japan
The top 10 global insurers ranked by NPW are:
1. UnitedHealth Group Incorporated, United States
2. AXA S.A., France
3. Allianz SE, Germany
4. Assicurazioni Generali S.p.A., Italy
5. Anthem, Inc., United States
6. China Life Insurance (Group) Company, China
7. State Farm Group, United States
8. Kaiser Foundation Group of Health Plans, United States
9. Munich Reinsurance Company, Germany
10. Aetna, Inc., United States
BestWeek is published weekly by A.M. Best for insurance professionals, and is available as part of a subscription to the Best’s Insurance News & Analysis service. More information about the Best’s Insurance News & Analysis subscription service is available at www.ambest.com/sales/bina/default.asp. To order, contact Customer Service at (908) 439 2200, ext. 5742 or at (800) 424-2378, when calling from the United States and Canada.
To learn more about BestLink, visit http://www.ambest.com/sales/bestlink.
Article found here.